Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Kole is precious... of course I am his aunt and maybe a little impartial towards him. My weekend with Kole was filled with all kinds of activities. When Amanda and I first arrived at the Ronald McDonald House, Kole was away at a Memphis basketball game. I couldn't help but feel a little dissappointed that I would have to wait to lay my eyes on him. I had a yearning to see him...It was not long before Janni called Steve ,at the game, to check on Kole. Kole was ready to come home, so we hopped in the Keller van and headed for the stadium. We parked, probably illegally, infront of this monstrous stadium which had a monstrous sidewalk. There was quite a distance between our car and the front door. It was cute watching my sister's long legs cover the distance to the door in no time at all. My eyes strained to catch the first glimpse of Kole. It was just minutes later, I spotted him bounding through the door. Janni had him show off his running ability, which was really impressive. The urge hit to get out of the car and sweep him up into my arms. I think Amanda felt the same. We were all so happy to see eachother. He giggled as he got into the car. I do not think we will ever take eachother forgranted again. Kole, however, is a traitor to his Uncle Joel in the fact that he announced to me that he is planning to work for Fed EX when he grows up. My husband of course works for the post office. Kole enjoyed calling his uncle to rub in his future plans. He loves to tease and my husband loved giving Kole "the business" (Leave It to Beaver saying) for his disloyalty. Anyway, that night was special. We went back to the Ronald McDonald house after a brief stop at Kroger. Kole took the elevator even though Janni encouraged him to practice walking up the stairs. He seems to have made himself at home. Anyway, back at the room he showed us some of his toys and Amanda got out a framed picture of Kole with her two kids to put beside his bed. The room is a little bigger than a standard hotel room. Janni of course had it well organized along with some added touches to make it more homey. The floors look warm like wood, though they are probably vinyl. Janni added a soft beige shag rug to the small sitting area which contains a nice chair and hassock. Kole said he had had a fall early on, so his mom bought the rug especially for him. The room also contained two queen size select comfort beds, which Janni does not enjoy sleeping on. There is a small bathroom across the floor from the beds. Janni and Steve call it their "little throne room". You walk in and see the back of the toilet piled high with their Bible, the Purpose Driven Life, and other Bible study materials. Janni locked herself in the bathroom every night I was there, inorder to spend some much needed time with her Sustainer, the good Lord. The bathroom is nice and neat with only a tub and toilet. The sink is in the room. Janni said it is an inconvenient location because to run the water to brush your teeth tends to wake the kids. Anyway, the small room and lack of privacy for a family of four has had it's challenges. Never had she appreciated home so much, though she is so grateful to be there. Anyway, the room was still very clean and comfortable. Maybe because of the people dwelling there and maybe because of God's presence felt there. I felt at home . Anyway, I got the privledge of sharing a bed with Kole. He enjoyed me tickling his feet and telling him some crazy camp stories I had heard as a kid. I was delighted to be so close to him. He became so dear to me as I patted his back and wrapped him in blankets as the night wore on. I wanted to protect him and care for him. Tenderness overtook me and I felt that maybe God could some how use our arms and hands to care for Kole for God himself. That God uses the love of all those around Kole as His instrument. God's tenderness for Kole however way out weighs anything we can offer him, yet he still uses us. There is a verse in Psalms 103 "God is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love". That is all I have time for this time. Do continue to pray that Kole will be able to eat well. Pray that there will not be side effects to his radiation. Pray that he will continue to gain strength. There has been many answers to prayer on his progress so far. He has made great leaps being able to jump, walk a line, write his name, and the like. The last MRI discovered a tiny fleck on his spine, which they are suspecting maybe cancer. However, it will be taken care of with the radiation. God has been so faithful to Kole and many are impressed with his progress. We attribute it to prayer....your prayers. Thankyou.

Jodi

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an old teammate of Steve Kelle Jr, and player for his dad, Steve Keller Sr. I just read this today, Feb 2. I sent an email to a friend whose parents are still in Oak Harbor asking why Jr(as we call him) isn't the coach at Clyde anymore.

My family will pray for yours.

nickma71@hotmail.com

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kellers,

The Hart family is praying for Kole and have put Kole on the Grace Episcopal prayer list. We're so happy to hear that Kole is getting to do so many exciting things with his family and friends. We are so grateful that you all take the time to share with everyone that loves Kole how he and the rest of the Kellers are doing. We look forward to every blessed day when we can read about how Kole is improving and loving life. We're praying for a speedy recovery and wish you all the best.

Love,

The Harts

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kellers!
I just wanted to let you know that we are all praying for you. Your story has been shared with our church. So many prayers are going out for you by people you've never even met. You are an inspiration to us all. God bless you and keep you in the palm of his hand. We pray for Kole's continued healing.
Love,
Darrell and Sarah (Vollman) Hershey
Jillian, Samuel and Emma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home