Monday, September 03, 2007

Life has a way of getting ahead of you! I have wanted to write to everyone for some time. I guess the time is now. You may be wondering about my parents flooded basement. I have to say they really did get hit hard, but there are many other families in the area that experienced even greater material loss. I heard today that 500 families are without homes in the Ottawa area.

Janni and Steve were with my father through almost all of the clean up. It amazes me how quickly we were provided for! It was a whirlwind week. My parents had probably over four feet of water in their finished basement, which was full of belongings. God brought much needed help. We had a group of men from church along with other friends and family come to carry out loads of water logged stuff. We had friends and family come and help photograph and itemize belongings. There were volunteers from church who provided evening meals along with a family friend who provided lunch. It was truly a team effort! I believe that the work went smoothly because God was in it! He organized us and sent help. It was kind of like how God helped Nehemiah organize groups of people to rebuild the walls around Jerusalem in record time. Overwhelming jobs leave us dependent upon our God. He truly delivered us. He keeps challenging us to come together as a family. We are learning to support one another side by side. Each of us having a part to play. We are not meant to be so independent!

One day while doing a study on in the book of Genesis, my memory was jogged about a conversation I had with Kole around two weeks before he died. Kole asked me one day "Aunt Jodi, why does God take our strength away?". I could not answer him then. Yet, I know the answer now----so that we will be made willing to trade in our "poor strength" for His "great strength". My pride would love to hold onto my independence and human ability to care for myself and for others. But, God keeps stripping me of independence. He calls me and you to Himself and to community. That is where true strength is found. The strength to lower ones pride and allow others to help. The strength of character that causes us to call out to Jesus for help. The strength to be willing to be dependent on Christ. He asks to carry our burdens along with our sin. He asks us to be willing to allow the servants His sends our way to minister to us.

I don't know what it is, but the story of the paralytic man in Luke 5:17-26 keeps running through my mind. He was a man completely helpless, probably for years. Then there were his friends. These friends tried to help this crippled friend anyway they could, only they were unable to cure his disease. They had to go the extra mile and carry the paralyzed man up on a roof. They did this in order to lower this ill man down into the center of the crowded house where Jesus was teaching. As the crippled man looked up to Jesus standing over him he could have said that his legs were just fine shriveled up and useless. He could have told Jesus he did not need His help. But, instead he came to Jesus weak and paralyzed by both disease and sin. He asked to be delivered and delivered he was. In many ways we can't help our friends and we are forced to bring them to Jesus. However, they too have to admit their need. Jesus can only help those who realize they need His help. We truly needed His help in these last two years and His help came. Many of you brought us to Jesus, through your prayers. Many of you brought Kole to Jesus, through your prayers. We thank you for being such devoted friends.

Love,
Jodi

3 Comments:

At Monday, September 03, 2007 9:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing and encouraging. I can sense your love for God through reading this. Please keep us updated on how Steve and Janni are doing. I know they've been busy this summer, hard to get ahold of them. Tell us anything specific we need to pray for them about. Thanks and God bless tremendously.

 
At Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and...you and your family has brought us to Jesus as well.

I know this has been stated before, but your example of faith and your devotion to your family has been an example to all of us.

May God continue to bless you and your family...

You remain in our prayers.

 
At Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to lift your family up in prayer.

We pray everyone is doing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home