Thursday, September 20, 2007

Many are wondering how Steve and Janni are doing! I have to say they are ministering to others even in their grief. Steve has dedicated himself to the young men on his basketball team. Janni has come alongside him, helping to welcome these players in their home! They are staying very active. Their new home needed landscaping and so they are busy with that project as well. I long to be near them even as I write. There is such a comfort level I feel in being with my sister. Janni and I like to talk about Kole. We talk about what he would be thinking or doing if he were still here. Remembering him makes us happy. We laugh at the funny things that he used to say or do. I can still picture his snarl with such fondness and tenderness.It is funny how he has become even more adorable. Even his orneriness is adorable to us.

I cannot say very much how all this has affected Steve and Janni down deep. I know a little more about my mother's feelings because she has a need to express herself. I use to think that she has taken it the hardest, but instead I feel she has been willing to lay it all on the line. I did not realize and understand my own emotions very well, until my mom started talking to me about her own. Her honesty has helped me more than I can say. Not that we are mad at our Lord. We are not. We just have sorrow, grief, and hurt. I can remember a friend telling me about a video made for people who have lost loved ones. I think it is called Grief Soup or something. She watched it and it did not make sense to her, but it did to the person she was with who going through the loss. I can't make a whole lot of sense out of my emotions or even out of my feelings of physical heaviness and even mental confusion. I feel like my feelings and the hurt are all mixed up inside of me kind of like "grief soup". There is fear there as well. Fear, that life is not so innocent anymore. All these emotions and feelings, my mom and I are coming to terms with as being part of the process of making our way through grief. In the middle of the night, last night, my thoughts were filled with anxiety and hurt. It is incredible how comforting is our good Lord. I felt Him say that "you "will have hurt. I felt him ask me to lay my hurt at the foot of the Cross. To give the hurt to Him. As hurt floods my heart and my emotions, I am to continually turn that hurt over to Him.....for all my sins and grief are for Him to bear. It was after laying down those hurts at Jesus' feet in the wee hours of the night, it was only than, that I was able to rest and relax .I could feel the physical release from my chest and stomach which felt as if they were both "tied in a knot". I felt His great love for me. He is truly willing to bear our burdens given the chance. It has been therapeutic to realize that many have gone through these emotions. They have come over to the other side of grief and hurt. When nothing has been so painful before it is hard to judge what is normal to expect when grieving. It is interesting that in many ways I feel numb.In fact, most of the time I have felt numb. I don't know why I feel as I do! My mom said to me today that we will deal with grief all differently. I do believe that we need to deal with our hurt and our emotions. It is the people who have "gone before" that are best able to direct those who are about to pass through. If we do not work through our pain, than we stay at a standstill. God is good in the providing the encouragement we need to continue living. It is only in this world that we will have to experience great loss and great sorrow. We cannot get a way from it. We all have to die to this earth. There will be no loss or sorrow in heaven. Kole is free from loss and sorrow. I must add that the more we are willing to lay the hurt down----the hurt we feel from other's who have hurt our feelings---the more we will be able to love freely. Why do we want to stay wounded? It is a human condition that baffles me. I has been my own. It works to lay our pain all down. Our God is huge and able to carry it all. I can recall Steve carrying Kole's body down the stairs of his home. He said--this is the last time daddy will carry you. There will never be a last time for God to carry us. He carries us forever.

Jodi

14 Comments:

At Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that update on Steve and Janni. It's good to hear all of it. WOW, what you shared about your many emotions, all mixed up like "grief soup", it was exactly what I have been feeling. I've had a hard time dealing with the end results because I believe 100% and prayed and thanked God for the healing. I'm in no way mad at God, but confused. I guess it's not our job to try and figure God out, that I have learned. Thank you for sharing what you did, I really needed that!!! God bless you and your family!

 
At Monday, October 01, 2007 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think of Janni & Steve, and the longing they must feel to see Kole, my heart starts to ache. As soon as I feel this sorrow I begin to pray, and I imagine all of the wonderful things Kole is experiencing in heaven. There must be endless joy there, nothing but happiness and love. What an amazing thing, to live in pure love with Christ.
I will continue to pray for all of the family members of Kole. I certainly miss seeing him at church, usually peeking out from behind Steve's leg with that little grin.
Thank you for all of your posts Jodi, they truely bring light to my day. May God Bless you all and heal your aching hearts more and more each day.

 
At Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no explanation for the why's? of this world that truly satisfies me. Each of us deal with the "why's" when a young person passes away.

It confuses us and it angers us. I have come to learn that this is part of the grieving process.

I have often played the "If I were God" game and expressed to my daughter that if I were God, everyone would live to a wonderful old age and pass in their sleep. She laughs at me and explains that cannot happen. I ask the why question again..."WHY"???

She tells me that there would be no reverence for life if we all knew we would live to 100 years of age.

Our time here on earth is planned with great purpose. Yet we cannot see, at least I cannot see the great purpose when a young child is taken from this earth.

What comforts us is that we do believe that he (Kole) is happy and living with Christ and we will be together with him again.

As the days pass, we remember Kole, we pray for the hurting hearts of his family, we grieve and come to realize that there really is something called "good grief"...

We are so thankful that you have each other to express your good grief to one another. We are thankful that as sisters you are able to share memories of Kole.

We want you to know, we share in your love for Kole. Life is precious!!!

Our contintued prayers....

 
At Monday, October 08, 2007 4:25:00 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Thamk you so much for that you really blessed me. I didn't know kole our anything. but i go to the SHS and i would hear poeple talk about him and your family. And that night befor i knew he passed on i prayed that he would get better and have strength and the next morning i got a text message that told me what happen and i began to cry and pray thaqt your family would make it through and let you know that he is in a better place now. he doesnt have t hurt anyore and i know it hurts you but its not abut you its about GOD

 
At Friday, October 12, 2007 3:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to lift your family up in prayer...

 
At Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We pray for God's blessings today upon your family!

 
At Monday, October 22, 2007 11:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ask that God continues to "carry" your sorrows and your burdens. How much love is enough for the load he lifts...carries for us.....

God Bless....

 
At Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you and your family....

You are remembered in our prayers...

We think of Kole with so much love and joy....and celebrate life just a little bit more because of him....

 
At Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rembering you and your families in our prayers....

 
At Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanting to let you know that we are remembering you this fall season...praying and lifting you up.....
God Bless....

 
At Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ask God's blessings upon you and your family this Thanksgiving season.

You are remembered in our prayers...

 
At Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you as the Christmas holiday season approaches.

Wishing your family well...

Still in our prayers......

 
At Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you all know that Kole, and all of your family, are in our thoughts over the holidays, and all the days of the year. I really enjoyed Kole and Ellie at Target House and my boys did too. We miss you all.

Gina & Liam (and Jeremy, Ethan, Keegan, and one more on the way...) www.caringbridge.org/visit/liamreinier

 
At Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of your family this holiday season...

God Bless....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home